Kentucky State School Grants And Scholarships

Kentucky state school grants are available through The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA), which has three grant programs to help residents of Kentucky further their education:

  1. College Access Program (CAP) Grant
  2. Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG)
  3. Go Higher Grant

College Access Program (CAP) Grant

The College Access Program (CAP) Grant provides the broadest coverage for tuition assistance, as far as the types of institutions at which the grant can be used.

The CAP can be used at any public or private post-secondary institution, as long as the student is enrolled in associate’s or bachelor’s degree program that will take at least two years to complete.

Part time and full time students are eligible, as long as they meet other requirements. CAP is designed to help economically disadvantaged students. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) toward the student’s total educational expenses cannot be more than $5,273.

The EFC or “Expected Family Contribution” is determined using the information submitted in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form, or FAFSA. Submitting the FAFSA should be every student’s first step in the attempt to secure funding for school, college, and university.

The annual award for 2011-2012 is $1,900. Students enrolled in an associate’s degree program can receive a total of 250% of the annual award. Those enrolled in a bachelor’s program may receive as much as 450% of the annual award during their college career.

Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG)

Kentucky state grants and scholarships for school and collegeThe purpose of the Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG) is to help students afford the cost of higher tuition at independent colleges and universities in Kentucky. It is a needs-based program. The participating institution must be accredited through a regional accrediting agency, and the instruction a student receives must not be only religious instruction. The amounts of the awards vary from $200 to $2,964 for the 2011-2012 academic year.

[contentblock id=1]

Students must be enrolled full time in an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree program. Those enrolled in associate’s degree programs can receive a maximum of 250% of the annual award, and those enrolled in bachelor’s programs can receive a maximum of 450% of the award.

To be eligible, recipients must not have any outstanding or delinquent financial obligations to the KHEAA or any Title IV programs. The KTG may not be used for correspondence courses or courses offered over the Internet.

Kentucky’s Go Higher Grant Program

The Go Higher Grant program is designed to help working adults get better jobs. To qualify, the applicant must be at least 24 years old and not have a bachelor’s degree. The grant is meant to help those who take classes part time while they work full time. A student must be less that half-time enrollees in an accredited college or university.

The program awards $50 per credit hour for as much as $1,000. The grant is available for one academic year only. Applicants must demonstrate financial need.

Students or potential students who are interested in any of these Kentucky State Grants must first complete a Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA). They must also be citizens of the United States and be full time residents of Kentucky.

More information on these grant programs is available at