Are There Scholarships For Women’s Education?

Obtaining a college education can be difficult for adult women. Sure, some college students will enjoy their study but working women, who have to look after their kids, maintain a job and simultaneously their college studies, can have a hard time.

Single mothers can have an even harder time.

It is tough knowing that all that stands between you and a higher paying career and a better life for you and children is an education that you either cannot afford, or cannot find the time to complete.

Fortunately, the government provides free grants for women, so most women will not find money to be a barrier to getting a degree.

Of course, you will still have to juggle your job, your family and kids. It will never really be easy for you. But removing finances from the overall equation can make life a lot easier.

The big problem is that many women are not aware of the most common government grants available to every citizen of the U.S., regardless of race, color or gender.

In order to be eligible for a grant, you need to have graduated from high school with a valid diploma. If you have not done so, getting it is your first step. Do whatever you have to; get help from local resources, take online courses and home study courses – whatever is necessary to get that diploma.

There are two main ones…

[contentblock id=1]

Pell Grants: This grant will cover up to 100% of your educational costs, depending on your income and financial means. Generally, this less money you make, the more the government will kick in to cover your schooling.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): This grant will cover up to 75% of the cost of your schooling, and it is up to you to come up with the rest – either by paying for it yourself, or investigating other possible local and state level grants and scholarships. There are a few stipulations with the FSEOG grant; you must be a U.S. citizen, you must not already have a Bachelor’s degree, you can’t have had an overpayment of a federal Pell grant, and you can’t be in default on any educational loan.

The first step in applying for either one of these scholarships is to fill in and submit a Federal Application for Student Aid form. You can do this online, and we talk more about how to do that here!